Thursday, January 21, 2021

Hearts on Fire bloghop

Today is my stop on the Hearts on Fire blog hop.    When Carol @Justletmequilt.blogspot.com announced this hop I was excited.   The only stipulation was the heart could not be red.   


The beginnings of an idea. 


I had lots of ideas that I wanted to do, but in thinking about it, I wanted to try something different.    I had seen quilting designs done on a white or cream colored background and using colored threads the design made it look like they were pieced.   I am not 100% positive that mine does that, but it was something fun and new to try. 



One of my goals this year is to try new things.   


I was trying to decide if I wanted to make a wall hanging or a pillow cover.   I decided on the pillow cover and I think it will go great in my bedroom and with my new quilt I am working on.   





For the pillow cover I cut out a heart shape and traced it on to my fabric. I inadverteby my cut my pillow a bit too small and did not leave me enough time to fix it.    Then I carefully followed my tracing and using my ruler quilting foot followed it around.  Then I echoed it on the outside.   I took my 12" arc ruler from @ Sewsteady.com to make the arcs on the inside of my heart shape.  A tip:    When using a double layer of batting or a thicker loft, move the quilting foot up just a bit. 



For the quilting I used Glide thread by @  https://www.habanddash.com/ in mint.   It is a 40 weight polyester thread.   I love the sheen it gives.    I also used 2 layers of warm and natural 100% cotton batting by @ https://warmcompany.com/.  I love the puff it gives.   




I really like this and I want to practice it some more.   I may even make several hearts like this and make them into a quilt.   


Please visit all the other bloggers from this hop.  They all have some great ideas.  



I love reading your comments, so please feel free to leave them. 

24 comments:

  1. Well done on trying a new technique with a pretty result.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great idea, and it looks fabulous. It doesn't look like a first effort at all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thinking outside the box is exactly what Blog hops are about. Your entry fits the bill perfectly. So happy you shared this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an interesting technique; it came out beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Neat heart pillow and a great way to practice quilting! I really like your pillow a lot and think I will try doing the same technique. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a technique that I should try, too. I liked the variation of the two areas - puffy and quilted. Thanks, Kathy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your quilting is so beautiful. I love the look of color thread on white - especially when quilting a motif like you've done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your quilted heart idea. This makes a lovely pillow. Thank you for sharing in the hop ... <3 Pat

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, so often we forget how beautiful the simplicity of a solid background really is. You've done a fabulous job and inspired me to try something new.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never seen this type of quilting done before. Yours is lovely. Great idea and beautiful finish. Yes a quilt of blocks of this type would be wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So cool. Nice size to practice quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  12. How fun trying out a new technique and having a lovely finished project! Have more fun practising!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is an amazing method of quilting that really looks beautiful in your pillow. I love how it sections off the heart to create an almost 3D look to it. The thread colors give it a touch of elegance...nice! Great job and totally meets the no-red challenge! Thanks for sharing. xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks like you had a lot of fun stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What fun! I've always loved the textures that one can make with just stitching on plain cloth. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful quilting! Looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Trying new techniques is and excellent goal. We all need to get out of our comfort zones once in awhile. Way to push yourself and look at your new pillow!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What an interesting take on the Heart theme of the Blog Hop!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Kathy, I love your interpretation of the heart theme!! The quilting is wonderful! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete