Wednesday, December 11, 2019

How I get ready to do free motion quilting

Today I thought I would share what I do to prepare for free motion quilting.

When I am working on a quilt, I will take time to look up ideas on how I might want to quilt it.  Usually I find ideas on Pinterest.
When I was getting ready to start this Christmas quilt, I knew I wanted Holly leaves.



  So I started looking at tutorials on how to do them.   I used 2 different ones.  One is www.lorikennedyquilts.com, just look in the menu and find motifs.  She has lots of ideas.  The other is Tracy at https://www.whirlsnswirlsquilting.ca/.  She also has a you tube channel so you can search that. 

Once I decide on the design then I have to practice it.  So, I take a sketch book or blank paper and practice drawing the design.  This aids in muscle memory.   I don't erase my mistakes, I just keep practicing.


Holly leaves practice

Leaf practice for the fancy fox quilt


The next thing I do, is practice on scrap fabric.  I always keep a scrap quilt sandwich by my machine.   Then when I have a few minutes I practice.
This is my practice swatch.   I just use it until I can't anymore. 


  When I feel confident I start quilting on my quilt.  Even with the practice it still doesn't always look perfect.  But the more I do it, the more confident I feel.



The back side of the fox quilt


So where do I get my ideas?  I use books I have.






 And I go to Pinterest.  I have quite a board saved of quilting designs that I want to try.   One of my goals for next year is to take the ideas and practice them.  I am aiming for 2 a month.  I will practice drawing them, then practice on scraps and then put them on the quilt.

1 comment: