Thursday, April 28, 2016

1 week until our quilt along begins

I am so excited for our quilt along. It starts next wednesday, May 4th. There are just a few housekeeping things I want to mention. First, make sure your sewing machine is in good working order. There is nothing more frustrating than getting started on a project and having your sewing machine not work properly. We have 2 weeks until we need them.
Just so it is all together,  and easy to find, here are the fabric requirements (and as George Strait says"Write this down")

Crib Size (40x50):
      Focus Fabric: 1 yard
      Color 1: 3/4 yard
      Color 2: 3/4 yard
      Color 3: 3/4 yard

Twin Size (70x90):
      Focus Fabric: 2 1/2 yard   
      Color 1: 1 1/2 yard
      Color 2: 1 1/2 yard
      Color 3: 1 1/2 yard

Queen Size (90x90):
      Focus Fabric: 3 yard   
      Color 1: 2 yard
      Color 2: 2 yard
      Color 3: 2 yard

Get some good quality thread. I like the coats and clarks, the essentials from connecting threads (www.connectingthreads.com).

Fabric: I gave you some room in case of mistakes, so you would have extra. I am going to suggest if this is one of your first quilts to buy a little extra. I always buy a bit more, just in case I cut something wrong.

Batting: I usually use the warm and natural batting. If my fabric is a light color then I go warm and white. You want your batting a minimum of 4" bigger on all sides than your quilt.
Backing: we have a couple of options for the backing. We can do 45" wide fabric or 108"wide fabric. The benefit with going the wide fabric is you don't need to buy as much and you don't have to have a seam down the middle of the quilt. You do have some left overs, but hey, that is great, because you will add it to your stash. I will do a post in the next few days of why Quilter's have stashes.

Back to the backing. If you are using the 45" fabric you wI'll need the following:
Crib/lap size: 4 yards
Twin: 5 1/2 yds.
Queen: 9 yds.

If you use the wide backing you need:
Crib/lap: 2 yards
Twin: 3 yd.
Queen: 3 1/3 yd.

So, if you haven't yet, you need to go fabric shopping.

I just thought I would share with you the fabric I will be using. This fabric was found at a store that is having a moving sale.




No comments:

Post a Comment