Friday, March 6, 2020

Dust off an old book blog hop





Today is my day for the dust off an old book blog hop.   I was excited when Bea at www.beaquilter.com posted this.   I started looking through my books and most of those are relatively newer books.  Then I remembered some quilt magazines a friend gave me.   So I looked through those.  I found this one from 1994.  It is called Traditional Quilter. 





I found 2 projects in there that I wanted to do. 

The first was an article called the versatility of the Hexagon.  It takes you through the steps of drawing a hexagon.  I never did learn geometry in high school.  Now I find it would be helpful.    I had a hard time drawing the Hexagon shape for EPP so I was glad I had some I could use.





I liked the little flowers made from hexagon so I decided to make one. 



I now need to applique it on to my background  by hand.   I think this will be a pillow.   The background is a 14 1/2" square.  I am doing a blanket stitch using 3 strands of DMC embroidery floss.  I put spray basting on the back of the Hexagon flowers and out it on the background piece.   Then I safety pinned it for added protection.



The 2nd project was a pattern called Windblown Tulips.



I love tulips and decided to take this pattern and position the tulips in a different way.  I am currently appliquing these in place using a blanket stitch and 2 strands of DMC embroidery floss.   To put these on the background fabric I used heat and bond.  I still need to add my leaves and my stems will be hand embroidered.



As I was trying to get these projects done I got hit with a sinus infection.  All I have wanted to do is sleep.  I guess that is a good thing, but you don't get a lot done.

Be sure to check out Bea's blog post for some fun giveaways. You can find her at www.beaquilter.com

Please visit my blogging friends to see what they have done.
March 2
March 3

March 4
March 5
March 6




7 comments:

  1. I love that windblown pattern. Sinus infections are nasty. I have had quite a few throat things this winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chris,

      Sorry to hear about the throat issues you have had. I love the windblown one as well. I am contemplating a whole quilt out of it. I know it will take me forever though.

      Thanks for visiting.

      Kathy

      Delete
  2. Great project! Hope you are feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. fun ideas, sinus infections are the WORST!! hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to hear about your sinus infection. They are no fun. How did you get the paper out of the hexie flower? Cute tulips! Hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Angie,

      Defintely agree that sinus infections are no fun. On removing the papers from my hexie I go in under the seam allowance and very carefully pull it out. Sometimes I end up ripping them as they had gotten stitched together. I also have some pretty mangled papers at times, so I just give a quick press.

      Once my papers are removed I lightly starch my hexie flower so that it holds its shape as I get it on my background.

      Hope this helps. If you have more questions please let me know.

      Delete
  5. Lovely hexies flowers, and cute tulips! I hope you are feeling better now

    ReplyDelete