Tuesday, April 25, 2017

March- Island Batik Ambassador project



The Challenge for March for the Island Batik Ambassadors was to do a project with paper piecing or english paper piecing.  I decided I was going to do paper piecing.  I had only done a simple heart, so I decided it would be a fun challenge.

The idea that I came up with was to draw some kite shapes and then put in some different shapes within those kite shapes.  I did this in EQ6.  EQ stands for Electric Quilt and is a program that a lot of quilt pattern designers use.

I chose kites, as I like the song from Mary Poppins, "Let's Go Fly A Kite".  Also. it is beginning to warm slightly and I was tired of the winter weather we were having here in Utah.

I started doing English Paper Piecing, but that was taking some time, so I decided to do paper piecing.  I used aurifil thread color 2024 (50 wt)  for the piecing.  And for quilting I used  Aurifil thread 1147 (40 wt) to quilt blades of grass in the green area and Fantastico #5117 (40 wt) by Superior Threads for the clouds in the sky.

The quilting of the grass. 
 After I got it to this point,  I texted a picture to one of my daughters. Her 4 year old said it looked like grass, the 6 year old saw carrots.

The clouds. These are fun to quilt. 


This was a fun project to do.  I am a bit slow in posting as there was just a bunch of crazy life going on.  I thank Elizabeth and Katie at Island Batik for being so understanding.
All finished.


The backing and binding is white from the basics collection at Island Batik. The kites are made from the Drizzle collection,  and the blue is from the basics collection. The green was from a little roll they had sent.  These are awesome fabrics to work with. If you haven't tried them, please do so.  I do need to add a Kite string to both kites.


No comments:

Post a Comment