Thursday, April 6, 2017

Island Batik Ambassador -April Challenge preview

  This month for the April Challenge for the Island Batik Ambassadors, our challenge is Applique.


I love applique.  Whether I do it by machine or by hand it is one of my favorite things.  I do prefer to do it mostly by hand, as it is easy to carry along with me.  I work on it where ever I go.  I carry it to work and take a few minutes to work on it at lunch time, unless I decide to go for a walk.

The project I am doing this month is Hawaiian quilting.  I love this type of quilting.  I first saw it at a local quilt shop when I went on a shop hop.  There was a gorgeous one hanging up that was a sampler of different squares.  I bought a book and taught myself the techniques of Hawaiian quilting. My project this month is at least one sampler block and I have chosen to do the "Pua Aloalo" which is the hibiscus and is the Hawaii State Flower.


These 2 photos show the beginning of my project.  I am using Aurifil 2024 for the basting and for the needle turn applique I am using Aurifil 2510.

 The fabric is folded the same way that you would fold paper for snowflakes or the little people holding hands.  I could never make those things work.  I have to find a scrap to practice on so I don't screw up my good fabric.

I am very lucky to have a neighbor who is Hawaiian.  The last time they went to Hawaii, was to visit her sick dad, who also ended up passing away.  Her husband took these pictures of this quilt that hangs in the lobby of the hospital over there.  It is definitely an inspiration picture for me.  One of these days, I will make one that is like this.





Stay tuned, and later in the month I will share with you my Hawaiian quilt.  What inspires you to quilt or whatever your hobby is?

No comments:

Post a Comment