Tuesday, September 13, 2016

2016 Cloud9 new block blog hop



Earlier this year I had a great opportunity to participate in a new bloggers blog hop. Through this, I learned more about blogging. We had some great hosts Yvonne @ quiltingjetgirl.com, Stephanie @ latenightquilter.com and Cheryl @ meadowmistdesigns.blogspot.com. Now they are hosting another great blog hop for us. This one is a challenge, to design a new quilt block.

 cloud9fabrics.com, generously donated a bundle of fat quarters to 70 designers for the #2016cloud9newblock blog hop. They gave us all the same colors of fabrics from the cirrus collection. These are organic fabrics and they are fun to work with. 

We had to use at least 3 of the 5 colors in our blocks. The blocks will be sent to one of the hosts and they will be put into some charity quilts. It is hard to come up with new blocks. We were given some resources to help us.

 I ended up using two of my favorite blocks and my quilt block is called "Pinwheel in a snowball". I had fun creating this block, and am going to design a quilt pattern based on it. 




Click here for a free PDF download of this block from craftsy.



PINWHEEL IN A SNOWBALL
Cutting instructions: these are based on using fat quarters. 
4 – 4” squares of two colors. (You will need 2 light and 2 dark colors) my colors are Amazon (dark) and sky (light). 


From a contrasting color, (mine was Shadow)  cut 3 - 3 ½” strips, then sub cut the following:

2 – 3 ½” x 6 ½”

2 – 3 ½” x 12 ½”
4 - 3 1/2 inch squares from a 4th color (mine was Iris) 


Take your lightest squares and draw a line corner to corner on the wrong side of the fabric.

 
Put 1 light and 1 dark square rights sides together. Sew ¼” on both sides of the line. Then cut along the marked line. Press the seams to the dark side.



 

Take the 2 HST's (Half Square Triangles) you just made, and put them next to each other so you have a dark and light next to each other, like this:


 Put right sides together and sew with a ¼” seam allowance. Yours seams will meet at the bottom. Repeat with the other 2 HST's.

Put your 2 sections together, matching the center seams and stitch at ¼” seam allowance.

Open up the finished pinwheel. Press the seam open, so it will lay flat. 




Finished pinwheel should measure 6 ½” square.
From your 3 ½” strips of the contrasting fabric. Sew the 6 ½” strips on right and left sides of the pinwheel, using a ¼” seam allowance. Press the seams away from the center block.


6 1/2" strips being sewn on 1 side of square. Do this same procedure on the other side. 



From the 3 ½” strips of the contrasting fabric. Sew the 12 ½” strips to the top and bottom of the pinwheel. Press seams away from the center block.


12 1/2" strips being sewn to the top. You will also do this on the bottom. 




We are almost done, but we need to make our block into a snowball. Using the 4 – 3 ½” squares. Draw a line down the center of the block, and lay each in a corner of your block. Sew about 1/8” from the line, on the right side of the line, then when it is pressed, it will line up with your block.


Trim all four corners ¼” from the seam. And press. You now have a pinwheel in the snowball.


This block was made by my tester Krystal.

This block was made by tester Cindy.

These are 2 of my favorite blocks. Keep and eye on my blog, because I will be doing a pattern with this block and it will be for sale soon.

I would love to see the blocks you create from this tutorial. If you are on instagram, follow me @kathyskwiltsandmore and share there under #pinwheelinasnowball or send me your pictures in am email at kathyskwiltsandmore@gmail.com or let me know your blog address and post a blog about it
 
A great big thank you to my testers Krystal and Cindy. They did a great job and gave lots of feedback.

To get more free patterns go to these sites:

Monday:
Host: Yvonne @Quilting Jetgirl

Tuesday:

Host: Cheryl @Meadow Mist Designs

Wednesday:

Host: Stephanie @Late Night Quilter


 

41 comments:

  1. I like the block and the directions. I do have one question. When you are snowballing the block in the final step, you say to stitch about 1/8" to the right of the drawn line. Doesn't it depend on which way you are sewing. If I label one end of the line I have drawn A and one end B. If I sew from A to B and sew 1/8" to the right of the drawn line, I do not get the same result as if I sew from B to A and sew 1/8" to the right of the drawn line. Is there a way that you can make this clearer for me? Should I be sewing 1/8" closer to where the pinwheel is or away from it? Maybe that would make it clear for me? I'm sorry to be a pain. I do like the block and wouldn't ask if I were not going to make it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suze,

      Thank you for your question. When doing the snowballing, you are sewing away from the pinwheel, so that you are sewing closest to the outside edge of the block. I hope you enjoy this block pattern.

      Delete
  2. Lovely combination of two classic blocks, and will result in a nice secondary pattern in a quilt too.
    Smiles
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate. The design for the quilt is drawn, I think I have the yardage figured out, just need to write a few more directions. I love these 2 blocks together.

      Delete
  3. Combining two blocks was great idea for a new block! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paige. I was so nervous to do this.

      Delete
  4. What a great idea to put together two blocks that you like - this is very fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It was fun. Hope you do the block and enjoy it.

      Delete
  5. I have done the snowball block-love the pinwheel idea! -so pretty! Thank you, Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan,

      Hope you will love this block. Both are fun to do. Thanks for visiting my blog today.

      Delete
  6. Pinwheels and Snowballs are both so versatile. I love that you combined them into one great block! Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sarah,

      Thank you so much. They really are versatile. So much you can do with both of them. Thank you for visiting my blog today.

      Delete
  7. I have always loved pinwheel and snowball blocks, but never thought to combine them like this! What a great block :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leanne,

      Thank you. I love to dream up new ideas. It actually took some time to make sure this was what I wanted to go with. Thanks for visiting today.

      Delete
  8. Great block! Nice job with the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann,

      Thank you. I try hard to make sure things are really clear. I went through it, as did 1 daughter and a friend. Thanks for visiting my blog today.

      Delete
  9. I'm just going to restate my love for pinwheel blocks so of course I love your block 💝💝💝 well done. I'm only just getting round the blogs after masking sure my post is up and running

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Pinwheels are fun to do. I still have to visit the blogs. Been crazy at work. Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  10. Lovely idea to combine two blocks that you like, Kathy. Thank you so much for joining the hop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Yvonne. All of your resources really helped. Thanks for visiting today.

      Delete
  11. Kathy, I love how you combined two blocks into one. Pinwheels are always so fun and it really added so much to the snowball block. Many thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great idea to combine the two blocks. It looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think the block has great scaleing potential. Make it bigger, make it smaller... Should be very interesting =)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love how you combined 2 blocks into 1. Pinwheels are so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is a fun little block. I like how you combined two traditional blocks to meke it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great combo of two traditional blocks...very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a nice combination! I can't wait to try out your pattern. Great Job!

    ReplyDelete
  18. this is a very fun block. thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  19. I a huge fan of pinwheels. I can't wait to see it in a quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great block Kathy - it will make lveoy secondary design.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh I just love pinwheels! It brings back nostalgic memories as it was the first quilt block I ever attempted! Super cute name for your block too!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Two of my favorite blocks as well! Beautiful work, Kathy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm amazed at how many different, yet beautiful blocks the bloggers have come up with and how they have placed the awesome colors. Can't wait to see the finished quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I enjoyed reading about your block design. Great idea to combine the snowball and pinwheel blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  25. So simple and yet it will make a great secondary pattern too! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  26. So simple and yet it will make a great secondary pattern too! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love how the pinwheel just seems to float! So cool.

    ReplyDelete
  28. This I a great combination of classic blocks. After designing my own block for this hop, I now have a new appreciation for pattern designers. Thanks for the pattern. Karen

    ReplyDelete